Fugly and Not Fugly, and Trees

 

Certainly not fugly

In this area, Lagerstroemias (Crape Myrtles) went a long way in saving August from being fugly.

          




 What trees do to us.

This August was weeks of very hot weather, day and night.  The water and electricity bills are fugly.  Some plants manged better. 

Gaura 'Whirling Butterflies' had some good moments:

 The Cosmos mostly toasted.  The roses were largely already toasted, so it didn't matter so much.  This corner, with Roses 'Bolero' and 'Easy Spirit', Pentas, and Catharanthus, Agave and Sedum 'Coppertone', managed somehow, if you don't look too closely.  

 A late 'Storm Cloud' Agapanthus flower, most welcome.  No storm clouds here, just hot blue sky.

 We drove Harry to a local park several times, because our usual neighborhood walks were too hot to bear.  The park grows large old (100 years plus) native Oaks and Sycamores.  All-day shade keeps the soil around and underneath them cool and made for comfortable shaded strolls.  What trees do for us.

Harry staring in the park: 

What Harry was staring at:

Not at all fugly.  
 
When it was possible to walk around the neighborhood, which was right after sunrise, some sights provided food for thought.  Another prize-worthy entry in the"What We Do To Trees" saga: 
 
They had a pine, but they wanted a palm? 
 What we do to trees.  
 
A surprisingly dazzling choice (and nurturing of) a low-growing Juniper.
Wow.  Simply, wow.  Fugly, most certainly not:
Not a single weed, not a brown stem to be seen:
Amazing.  The rest of the property is unexceptional. 
 
Before being distracted by Crape Myrtles, this post began as a consideration of a plant I put in last year with great hopes it would be a tough, heat-defying  plant and another excellent food source for hummingbirds:  Dicliptera suberecta.  It began as a tidy, low growing pillow of fuzzy, gray-green foliage.  The flower stems began to emerge in late spring, and the plant began looking like a weed I had neglected to pull.   
Fugly.  
The flowers didn't open properly at first, drying and blackening.  Only one would occasionally look like something a hummingbird might take an interest in. 
Okay, not so bad...
But most of the flower clusters continued to shrivel and blacken.  Then after some weeks, for no apparent reason, they improved.
 (The purple-y flowers are a Teucrium)
So, maybe the fugly is just growing pains.  The plant may grow more attractive to both the gardener and the local hummers, given more time.  Granted.  
 
Another interruption to the Fugly Meditation was a large section of a Pittosporum snapping off.  I'd planted the Pitto to screen out a view of a neighboring home's bathroom window, which it was finally doing.  The section that was doing the screening was, of course, the one that snapped.  
Couldn't get the entire trunk in a panorama format.  Here's more of it:
There was another six feet or so hanging over the neighbor's wrought iron fence, which I hacked off somehow without letting any of it fall into the neighbor's yard.  
 
Here's where the big trunk snapped off:
Still need to chop up the rest of it, and the whole Pitto needs to come out, as there's obviously something wrong with it, but so much else to attend to lately.  I'm amazed I managed to do this post, however mixed up it is, with all the distractions.  
 
What trees do to us. 
 
Like this Amaryllis 'La Paz' that decided to open in September??!!?  
Not fugly at all: 

 And it rained today!  Over a quarter of an inch!  

Comments

  1. Glad to hear the rain made it all the way down to your area. We've had a stretch of below normal temps and above normal rainfall. I want to go back to August! (not ready for the long dark season up in these parts) I love the Lagerstroemias and I'm sorry you lost your screening branch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister in Alaska said they got crazy amounts of rain all summer. You may end up with a dry winter if the storms shift south as they sometimes do in an El Nino.

      The PItto wasn't happy, so I wasn't happy. Maybe it's for the best to try something that will handle our long summer drought a little better.

      Delete
  2. I do "need" a crape myrtle - and there may be a place for one after we remove a dead tree and a large dead Leucadendron during our annual trimming exercise this fall. I have a Hippeastum coming into bloom now too as well. I find them utterly confusing and unpredictable with respect to their timing.

    It rained here yesterday too. We got 0.56/inch (most before 11am). We've been just spit on (0.01/inch) so far today but it's very warm and very humid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow .56" awesome!! We ended up with .31". You could see the plants were happier right away. Now another heat spell to survive.

      I love Crape Myrtles!! I've read they are overplanted in the SE and people are sick of them, but they are lovely, well behaved smaller trees to these eyes.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the rain! Love the view of the crape myrtle out the window. Inexplicable what they did to the pine tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People do weird things to trees here because they don't want to pay to remove them. Hacking is cheaper. Sigh!

      Thanks! Rain here is always a thrill--haven't had since early April, I think.

      Delete
  4. I'm going to have to use that term going forward. It certainly fits many situations. Drought has a way of making many things fugly. My Hydrangeas have fallen into that category repeatedly this summer. Good to hear you got some rain, too. I remember seeing lots and lots of Crape Myrtles when we vacationed in Branson, Mo. I found them lovely and fascinating. Harry sure is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Crape Myrtles are very common in the Southeast. Getting more rain there, they are undoubtedly even better than here. They are four season, fresh growth in spring, summer color, good fall leaf color (not here, but where it gets cold enough for fall color) and the trunks have a gorgeous bark when they are bar in winter.

      Harry's incredibly cute. We're lucky to have him.

      Delete
  5. The crape myrtles are gorgeous. Not sure how you could tired of them. Too bad about the pittosporrum. Murphy's Law that it was the most important branch. What is the plant hanging down the wall with the orange flowers. It's stunning and I bet a hummingbird magnet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murphy's law often proved in the garden. No idea how people can weary of Crape Myrtles, but that's gardeners for you.

      That is Russelia equisetiformis, native to subtropical and tropical Mexico south into Guatemala and yes indeedy it is mobbed by hummers whenever it flushes a new mass of flowers. The male hummers fight over it above, while the female and juvenile hummers sneak up from below and feed so as to avoid getting chased off by the males. Southern Mexico south into Guatemala are areas with many hummingbird species, so their popularity with hummers here is no surprise.

      Delete
  6. I love your window scene. The Lagerstroemias in full bloom is stunning and I also admire the skinny, rich green cypress duo. We could have assume it was a photo taken during an Italian vacation.

    I remember when you refreshed that corner and added Dicliptera suberecta, not that long ago. I hope this plant will benefit from anther year in the ground to get establish. Here's to a better performance next year.
    It looks like Harry would have been thrilled to jump into the water, to chase the ducks or just coo off.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry's Retriever half wanted to retrieve, but his Samoyed half wouldn't stoop to getting wet.

      I added Gaillardia, Coreopsis, and some Marigolds in that area this spring. The Marigolds died in the heat, the other two are surviving their first year and appear prepared to look pretty good next year. So the Dicliptera is on probation. I have another plant of it in the gully where it can feed hummers and look however it damn well pleases, if the one out front fails to improve.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.