More of the dying Pitto snapped off. Beloved encouraged me to hire some tree guys to remove it. No wonder I call him "Beloved". Thanks, Love!
Pitto removed. Supposedly the stump is out--whether all of it is out, so I can plant a replacement screening shrub, is the question.
"X" marks the spot needing investigation:
It's waaay too hot to investigate. We're going through the worst heat wave of the year: many days of 100F+(~37C), with nights not cooling down much below 80F (26C). Hopefully there won't be another one even worse later in October.
The Pitto-gone view from the other side of the wall.
My, what a lovely roof you have!
More tree-guy work: a Metrosideros 'Springfire' shortened. It will look good again in a month or two.
And not-dead Pittos and another largish 'Springfire' shortened. They're on the other side of the walls. More sun for the veggie/cutting garden this winter, but still, shrubs tall enough to screen:And, the Callistemon 'Slim's and Metrosideros 'Gala' shortened down in the gully: A huge worry, resolved. Relief is such a lovely feeling.
And, with Pitto gone...plant shopping opportunity!! When it cools down. Not now. Likely another 'Springfire', which produce plentiful flowers that feed bees, humming birds, Orioles, various warblers and other birds, and do fine in this summer dry climate.
I do love the beautiful Arctostaphylos 'Austin Griffiths', which does well here. Here's one screening out the some of the neighbor's house from the back stairs:
Unsure as to how dense 'Austin' will stay over time. It is a slower grower than 'Springfire'.
I just read A. 'St. Helena', which I have planted next to the above 'Austin', is: "a tree type manzanita. Rapid growth to 10′ x 10′ in 8 years." A more open habit though--open habit = not a screener. It's maybe 30" tall at the moment. There is space between it and Leucadendron 'Chief', beyond it, for something else.
Heteromeles arbutifolia and Rhus integrifolia, native right to this area, may also work, but can be slower still. How long do I want a view of the neighbor's bathroom window? Decisions, decisions.
Speaking of What Trees Do To Us...
There's a whole parking lot full of these Ficus benjaminas, trimmed like that. I laugh like a jackass whenever I see them. Other F. benjaminas are visible in the background. This species is notorious for pushing up any pavement they are surrounded with. Witness their punishment. What We Do To Trees.
Watch out for fast-growing, surface rooted trees. Fast-growing trees are cheap to buy (because, duh, they grow fast) but expensive to maintain. T = $








Comments
Post a Comment
Always interested in your thoughts.
Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.